Monday, November 11, 2013

Just Another 'Pittance in Time'

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but it appeared to me that following 9/11, we experienced an upswing in patriotism in Canada.

Okay, maybe "upswing" isn't quite the word ... the majority of Canadians always have been patriotic but pre-9/11 it was a very different kind of patriotism. A quiet patriotism that we held in our hearts and shared quietly with one another but that we seemed to feel no need to shout from the rooftops.

As I said, that seemed to change after the horrific events of Sept. 11, 2001.

More flag-waving, more open expressions of pride in our country. And more poppies. Definitely more poppies.

Remembrance Day seemed to become revitalized and take on a larger, broader meaning. And I was am a big fan of this change.

Sadly, though, I am wondering if that more open expression of pride and appreciation for our country (and those that serve in its name) is starting to ease off just a bit - at least in connection with Remembrance Day.



I hope not. I pray not.

LEST WE FORGET

2 comments:

Hogdayafternoon said...

As you may have seen elsewhere, I was recently at Beaumont Hamel, The Somme, now a piece of Canada in France and the site of unspeakable slaughter and the total annihilation of the Newfoundland Regiment on the morning of July 1st 1916. Administered and maintained by Canada, along with Vimy Ridge a few miles North, it is staffed by Canadian students from May to November. I was bloody proud of them. Kudos to Canada, a country I share with Britain as a citizen.

OldAFSarge said...

My prayer is similar Michelle, very similar.