Friday, July 18, 2008

This One's For You ...

Admittedly a little late [ahem], but as promised, this one's for you, punky d.
The Ten Commandments for Parents of Special Needs Children

1. Take one day at a time, and take that day positively. You don't have control over the future, over today, or over any other day, and neither does anyone else. Other people just think they do.

2. Never underestimate your child's potential. Allow him, encourage him and expect him to develop to the best of his abilities.

3. Find and allow positive mentors: parents and professionals who can share with you their experience, advice and support.

4. Provide and be involved with the most appropriate educational and learning environments for your child from infancy on.

5. Keep in mind the feelings and needs of your spouse and your other children. Remind them that this child does not get more of your love just because he gets more of your time.

6. Answer only to your conscience: then you'll be able to answer to your child. You need not justify your actions to your friends or the public.

7. Be honest with your feelings. You can't be a super-parent 24 hours a day. Allow yourself jealousy, anger, pity, frustration and depression in small amounts whenever necessary.

8. Be kind to yourself. Don't focus continually on what needs to be done. Remember to look at what you have accomplished.

9. Stop and smell the roses. Take advantage of the fact that you have gained a special appreciation for the little miracles in life that others take for granted.

10. Keep and use a sense of humor. Cracking up with laughter can keep you from cracking up from stress.

11. There is no 11th, silly. (See the 10th.)

~ Author Unknown

3 comments:

Casdok said...

Definetly a sense of humor! :)

Punkys Dilemma said...

{{{{{{{{{ Michelle }}}}}}}}}}}
Thanks M. Boy, you don't know how much I need to be reminded of this. Day in and day out! This is definitely going up framed and on my wall.

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

Punky, it's been hanging on my fridge for many years. Which is a good thing, considering I lost it on my computer.

No. 6 is my favourite, I often think of it. But I think I need to remind myself a bit more often about #7 and #8. I hope you are having a good day, my friend. I just wish I was *hearing* from you more often.