Friday, November 23, 2007

And God Said ...

'I Think They've Lost What's Left of Their Minds.'

Had Toni Vernelli gone ahead with her pregnancy ten years ago, she would know at first hand what it is like to cradle her own baby, to have a pair of innocent eyes gazing up at her with unconditional love, to feel a little hand slipping into hers - and a voice calling her Mummy.

But the very thought makes her shudder with horror.

Because when Toni terminated her pregnancy, she did so in the firm belief she was helping to save the planet.

Incredibly, so determined was she that the terrible "mistake" of pregnancy should never happen again, that she begged the doctor who performed the abortion to sterilise her at the same time.

He refused, but Toni - who works for an environmental charity - "relentlessly hunted down a doctor who would perform the irreversible surgery.

Yep, you read that right.

She had an abortion to save the planet. Then she had herself sterilized. Again, to save the planet. Must be due to all that inherent 'evil' to be found in babies, I suppose.

And as much as I'm tempted to quip that one good thing came out of it ... at least if she doesn't reproduce we shouldn't have to concern ourselves with many more of her ilk, I'm afraid it doesn't quite work that way.

The article also introduces us to Sara, another woman of many questionable talents.

Most young girls dream of marriage and babies. But Sarah dreamed of helping the environment - and as she agonised over the perils of climate change, the loss of animal species and destruction of wilderness, she came to the extraordinary decision never to have a child.

"I realised then that a baby would pollute the planet - and that never having a child was the most environmentally friendly thing I could do."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'd never dream of preaching to others about having a family. It's a very personal choice. What I do like to do is make people aware of the facts.

Sure, its a personal decision. And frankly, ususally I couldn't care less whether she chose to have a child or not. Except for her warped reasoning.
"When I see a mother with a large family, I don't resent her, but I do hope she's thought through the implications."
I sure hope they've thought through the implications, too. I'm just wondering who's going to take over the stewardship of this beautiful planet when we're all dead and gone. And have exercised our God-given right not to reproduce. So as to save the earth.

I also can't help but think that perhaps a little less environmental concern and a little more respect for morality would go a long way. And when I speak of morality, I'm not even going near the getting pregnant in the first place part. So far the score looks like

Earth 1
Humanity 0

Maybe we don't deserve to be here after all...

H/T to Neptunus Lex

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Incredible. Simply Incredible.

The propoganda machine hard at work--got those girls firmly convinced.

sigh.
d