Thursday, November 15, 2007

Let Me Get This Straight

Yeah, yeah, I know.
I'm back to helping them Americans again. *gasp*

But, in my defence, I do so love 'good causes'. Just got to find me some Canadian ones, I guess. And it might be something that some of my American friends might be interested in.
So there!

Anyway, while I'm searching out good Canadian causes, what do you think of this?
Boy Scout boxes soliciting care package donations for deployed soldiers in a Cambridge, MA polling stations were removed because a poll worker complained that they were implicitly “pro-war.”

Boy scout collection boxes? Give me a break...

As Lex points out, the Scouts had twice sought (and received) permission from the Election Committee to conduct the drive, made 25,000 flyers (incurring an expense of $1500 dollars) and sought the support of their extensive social networks. Only to have it blow up in their faces on election day.

But here is the really cute part.

Weinerman [executive director of the city’s Election Commission] cited a law that prohibits political messages near any polling station in an election. But state law prohibits political messages pertaining to a particular election within 150 feet of any polling station, according to a spokesperson for Secretary of State William Galvin’s office. There is no law stopping someone from promoting an unrelated political message within 150 feet of any polling place.

From reading this it sure doesn't sound like any violation of state law to me, even inside the 150 foot radius. Despite what the 'lady' has to say.


While most of the boxes were set up in the lobbies or front entrances of the polling stations, some were placed in the same room as voting booths, according to election workers. Weinerman said the scouts were never given permission to set up the boxes inside the 150-foot boundary.
Kind of makes you wonder what else might be at play, doesn't it?

Any any rate, I liked Lex's idea.
Of writing a message of support to the Boy Scouts:
Boy Scouts
Troop 45PO
Box 38-1241
Cambridge, MA 02238

Hopefully a message of support to the Boy Scouts won't violate any, you know, laws... Cuz I would hate to see something like that happen.

Update: Courtesy of Dave H at in the comments at Neptunus Lex

Marsha Weinerman:Executive Director
Office Hours:
Cambridge Election Commission
51 Inman Street
First Floor
Cambridge,MA 02139
Phone: (617) 349-4361
Fax: (617) 349-4366
Monday:8:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Tuesday to Thursday:8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday:8:30 a.m.-Noon

Email to:
Elections2@Cambridgema.gov

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What bull. Obviously, someone has a political agenda, and it's not the Boy Scouts--or not as obviously! sigh.

While we're on the topic (kinda) what about that Cuban movie?

If it shows up here, I'm gonna protest--signs and all.
d

Anonymous said...

I really find stupidity to be so, so, stupid? I mean, if there is freedom of speech, if it is a free-thinking country - why on earth can't there be dissention? I still don't get why minorities have so much clout. The Boy Scouts are doing what they feel to be the right thing to do. Those who don't agree with the cause ...just don't contribute!
Am I pro-war? No,I'm not. But I would contribute to the Boy Scout drive to help the troops. Contradictory? I don't think so ...
Eileen

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

I've always suspected that I was blessed to have friends with such discerning ... taste. And honoured.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this really does chap my a$$. Have we crossed the P.C. line so far that one person's opinion will dictate what can happen to possibly hundreds or even thousands of others? Because one nutjob got their panties in a twist, the Boy Scouts can't complete a humanitarian activity and help our warriors?

Then again, it happened in Cambridge, MA - not necessarily a bastion of consideration or altruism.