Thursday, November 15, 2007

What Will They Think Of Next?

A 'What Type of Mom Are You?' Test, apparently.

And it would appear that I am the Introverted, Sensing, Feeling, Judging type ... aka The “Tender Loving Care” Mother.

Uh huh, I am sure there are many, many days my kids would strongly disagree with that one.

Gentle and kind, the ISFJ mother provides her children with generous amounts of tenderness, affection, and the comfort of daily routine. Her aim is to “be there” for her children, physically and emotionally. She is sensitive to their feelings, offering closeness, understanding, and quiet support.

Loyal and devoted, the ISFJ mother has a strong sense of duty and consistently puts her children’s needs first. She delights in taking care of the little things that matter to a child, making each one feel loved and special.

To provide her family with security and warmth, the ISFJ mother tends to the practical and domestic, aiming for a smooth-running household and an attractive home. She also observes and conveys the value and importance of family traditions.


“I want my children to feel they have an ally, someone who knows them completely. I want to be a haven for them.”

Which, maybe yes, maybe no.
I've taken much more in-depth (pages and pages of quetsions) online personality tests in the past which were based on the same introvert/extravert, sensing/intuitive, thinking/feeling, judging/perceiving system. And found that although the introverted and judging parts remain fairly constant, the sensing and feeling could just as easily be intruitive and thinking (or some combination thereof) on any given day or even hour.

In fact, any questions that deal with that thinking/feeling dichotomy, in particular, I tend to struggle with answering big time. I'm this very odd creature, you see. Very logical. And equally, if not more, emotional.

Which might explain why I very easily (and much too often for my own liking) can be having a very intelligent, logical conversation and suddenly have tears in my eyes. Almost out of nowhere. All that has to happen, is the right topic to come up. Or even the right thought enter my mind. But in the same conversation, the tears can just as quickly stop. And start again. It drives me crazy because I can't seem to control it.

Fortunately, those that know me well know that I can usually carry on a relatively intelligent conversation even while crying. They're the ones that either hand me the kleenex (which I quickly brush aside) and keep talking or just ignore the tears completely and carry on. Which I appreciate. Its not that the feelings aren't real (they are and they're very deep), its just that I seem to be wired a little ... shall we say, oddly.

By the way, you can find a list of all of the different 'mothering types' here.

So what type of parent are you?


H/T to Adventures of Law School Mama for the link

3 comments:

Punkys Dilemma said...

hehehe....I can see alot of you in what you described about yourself. :)
Me? Gee...do I have to choose just one personality type?? I guess if I had to choose, I'd be most like ISFJ too. But......
There's a little of "Totally There" I'm there in less than a second for them. I can be a "Kids R Fun" mother too, acting a fool dancing with them. The "Heart to Heart" mother. Maybe a little too much! I tend to annoy my daughter with that sometimes! LOL
Ahhh..there's more, but I won't bore you! :)
Thanks this was fun... :)
PunkyD

Anonymous said...

I on the other hand, am an Independence Mother - forgot what else it said ... Ah well, so much for mother types :)
eb

Anonymous said...

Playful and energetic, the ENFP mother finds her children to be good company and enjoys being with them. In fact, she says being with children justifies her own “being a kid again.” And children say she’s fun to be with — spontaneous, hearty, and imaginative.
Naturally drawn to introducing her children to the joys of life, the ENFP is something of a free spirit. She is less concerned with rules, routines, and schedules, and more inclined to give her children plenty of free time to play, explore on their own or with her, and have fun together.
Tuned in to her children, the ENFP mother enthusiastically encourages each one’s individuality and unique potential through a great variety of experiences. She is also quick to identify with others’ feelings and thoughts, making her an empathetic supporter of her children, not to mention her mate and many, many friends.

This seems to be a pretty good definition of me although ... not a perfect one.

eb